Lloyd Palace, 2 Victory Square
Lloyd Palace was built between 1910-1912 after Leopold Baumhorn's plans and now hosts the headquarters of the Politehnica University Timisoara.
The Lloyd Palace is located in Victory Square, after 1948 becoming the headquarters of the Rectorate of the Politehnica University of Timisoara. The building was inaugurated on September 29, 1912, and was realized during 1910-1912 following the plans of the architect Leopold Baumhorn in a Seccesion style. At the ground floor of the building there was a café called Café Lloyd and a restaurant, meeting place of Timisoara’s elites and bohemians, Lloyd Restaurant still existing today. On the first floor of the building was the headquarters of the Agricultural Stock Exchange and the Lloyd Society, and on the second and third floors were private apartments. The Lloyd Palace was the property of the Timișoara Chamber of Commerce during the interwar period. The interior elements - mirrors, stained glass windows, chandeliers of monumental dimensions - belong to a language of luxury in space decorations.
The palace can be visited during the tour Art Nouveau in Timișoara - The end of an era, organized within the cultural project Architecture Tour.
The Politehnica University of Timisoara celebrates in 2020 its first century of higher education in Timisoara, being founded on November 11, 1920 through a Royal Decree.
The Lloyd Palace hosts the Rectorate of the Polytechnic University, after major renovations done in the last 10 years, the Senate Hall has regained its former splendor and hosts a number of academic and local community events, and the Small Senate Hall has become a modern space dedicated to meetings and conferences. On the 90th anniversary of the UPT, the busts of the founders of the Polytechnic School (as it was named in 1920) - King Ferdinand I of Romania and the one of the academic Rector Traian Lalescu, the first Rector, made by Timisoara sculptor Peter Jecza were unveiled.
The Politehnica University of Timisoara, university of higher research and education, is today one of the Romanian schools with tradition, recognized on national and international levels, both through the activity of generations of teachers, but also through the exceptional activity of some prestigious academicians. Through the 10 faculties, the university offer study programs for approximately 13500 students. In the 25 departments work over 800 teachers, and the administrative and auxiliary personnel count around 1000 people.
The Multimedia Research Centre, founded in 1996 has a vast experience in research, development and educational programs in multimedia, web, mobile technologies, augmented and virtual reality.
The e-Learning Centre (CeL), founded in 1998 organizes and develops distance and online education programs both at the undegraduate and post-graduate levels. The Centre is actively involved in research and development in the areas of eLearning, MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses), OER (Open Educational Resources), digital students, advanced web technologies for education, online learning, mobile learning, virtual campuses, digital abilities and entrepreneurship. CeL initiated and developed over 25 European, national and international projects in digital education.