);
Ștefania Palace, the former "Town Hall", named after 1918 after the wife of Rudolf Totis
The Ștefania Palace and The Roman Square
The Ștefania Palace and The Roman Square

Palatul Șstefania, Piața Romanilor nr. 1 – str. Ștefan cel Mare nr. 2

Ștefania Palace, the former "Town Hall", named after 1918 after the wife of Rudolf Totis, the owner of the building in the interwar period. It was built by the senior entrepreneur Josef Kremmer according to the plans of the architect László Székely in the years 1908-1909, in the style of the 1900s (Secession).

Ștefania Palace, the former ''Report House of the Municipality'' (Roman Square no. 1 - str. Ștefan cel Mare no. 2), named from 1918 after the wife name of Rudolf Totis, the owner of the building during the interwar period. It was built by the senior entrepreneur Josef Kremmer according to the plans of the architect László Székely in the years 1908-1909, in the style of the 1900s (Secession). The building was restored and attic according to the project of the architects' Hortensia Botescu and Mihai Botescau in the period 2000-2002.

The Roman Square was built on the land of the Esplanade, the plain "non aedificandi" on which it was forbidden to build until 1868. In that year the Esplanade around the fortress was reduced from 948 meters to 569 meters (300 meters).

After 1868, buildings were built on the east side of the current square, in 1876 the built pediment was completely closed. The Miksa Róna palace stands out: the Roman Square no. 2 - str. Ștefan cel Mare no. 4, architect Henrik Telkes, in the style of the 1900s, a building permit issued on September 26, 1911, completion of works in 1912.

An important factor in the development of Roman Square was the presence of the horse-drawn tram line, which connected the Fabric neighborhood with the Cetate neighborhood since 1869. The tram line crossed this square, the tram station being in the middle of the square.

On the southern side was built the "establishment" of electricity supply to the city. After 1890, the first three houses were built on the west side (towards the Cetate) of the Roman Square. On the north side is the place "To the Queen of England", the building where the painter Oskar Szuhanek (1887-1972) lived, and the house of Dr. Samuel Kohn (bd. 3 August no. 31, designed by architect Albert Krausz, permission construction February 26, 1935).

Bibliography:

Mihai Opriș, Mihai Botescu, Arhitectura istorică din Timișoara, Editura Tempus, Timișoara, 2014

Video

The Ștefania Palace and The Roman Square

Povești despre Timișoara de altădată cu Francisc Valkay 

Între cele două războaie la Timişoara, după câte îmi amintesc, mai ales în anii 1920 şi începutul anilor 1930 la multe familii evreieşti lângă copii au bone guvernante. La familiile mai înstărite şi cu pretenţii mai mari aceste bone guvernante au fost aduse din Austria sau Germania. Fräulein, cum spuneam noi, a stat cu noi până în vara lui 1927 când, în septembrie, am început şcoala. Ea s-a dus la altă familie, dar din timp în timp venea să ne viziteze. Din 1920 erau ani liniştiţi, prăvălia de confecţii bărbăteşti mergea bine, au putut cumpăra casa de lângă palatul Totis (unde era prăvălia tatălui), casa din Ştefan cel Mare, 4. Comercianţii aici, în Fabric, în acea vreme majoritatea erau evrei – tot în palatul Totis – magazin de ghete Schwartz, mărunţişuri Krausz, textile Denes, parfumeria Spierer şi sucursala Banca Timişoara la colţul cu Ştefan cel Mare (sediul era în Piaţa Sf. Gheorghe, proprietar Sigismund Szana).

Tata se ducea dimineaţă la prăvălie la ora 8, mama mai târziu. În prăvălie mai erau doi vânzători evrei, care au ştiut să servească clientul în mai multe limbi (română, maghiară, germană şi puţin sârbeşte). În spate era un croitor care venea de două ori pe săptămână pentru a potrivi haina pentru clienţi când era nevoie. La prânz se închidea pe două ore, de la 1 p.m. la 3 p.m. Tata şi mama veneau acasă şi luam prânzul – tata se culca pentru câteva minute, mama mai lung. Seara la ora 7 veneau acasă.

Aprovizionarea, piaţa era făcută de mama aproape în fiecare zi (piaţa atunci era în Piaţa Traian). A fost după masă când mama avea alt program. Îmi amintesc că a luat parte la organizaţia femeilor sioniste, dar mai activă a fost în Asociaţia femeilor din comunitatea din Fabric. Se strângeau bani pentru copiii evrei săraci, ajutorarea lor ! şi ajutau cu cele necesare fetele sărace când s-au căsătorit.

Părinţii mergeau des la cinematograful Apollo, cred că am văzut toate filmele mute, muzica furnizată de un pianist aproape de ecran. La unele filme ne duceam şi noi, fratele meu şi cu mine după masă cu mama sau mai târziu singuri.

Annie Hammer, născută Kincs, în 1920 la Timișoara – fragment din Destine evreiești, Getta Neumann, Editura Hasefer, București, 2014.

[/vc_column_inner][/vc_row_inner]
360
Panorama
English