Piața Huniade nr. 1
The National Museum of Banat is based in a building that is declared a historical monument - Huniade Castle, the building currently being under restoration. The temporary headquarters of the museum is located in the Theresia bastion, Martin Luther Street, no. 4.
The National Museum Of Banat has the headquarter in a building declared a historical monument – the Huniade Castle. It was built between 1308–1315 by Carol Robert de Anjou, King Of Hungary, who established his royal residence to Timișoara for some years. It was restored in 1443 by John Hunyadi, (the count executive of Timișoara) after it was destroyed by an earthquake back in 1443 but during the Ottoman occupation, between 1552-1716, the castle was the residence of the Beylerbey of the Eyalet Of Timisoara. (1552–1716) After the establishment of the Habsburg administration in Banat at the beginning of the 18th century, in the castle were installed an artillery barracks and a weapons storage facility. The castle was destroyed by the Hungarian Army during the Revolution in 1848 and was later restored in 1856. The Huniade Castle has been the nucleus around which the city-fortress Timișoara was formed in all its evolution periods: in the Hungarian and Ottoman periods, in the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, in the period of the Hasburg and Austro-Hungarian Empires and in the modern era of the history of city.
In 1872 the Society for History and Archaeology of Timișoara, was founded, which is the nucleus of the current National Museum of Banat. Since 1947 the Huniade Castle housed the cultural assets from the heritage of the museum. The building is in the process of renovation. The temporary headquarters of the National Museum of Banat for temporary exhibitions and cultural events is the Maria Theresia Bastion,at No 4, Martin Luther Street.
Both Huniade Castle and the Theresia Bastion can be visited during the Art Encounters - - Timisoara as a landmark, organized by the crew from the Architectural Tour.